I decided to write this post because I was genuinely surprised & pleased by what I found, I don’t know why I was surprised, I should’ve known about it but, as you know, 1 day turns into 2 & then, before you know it, a week has gone by & then a full month, the only time I sign into myHR is once a month, to check how much I’m getting paid but other than that, I only ever used it when I did my ILM course a couple of years ago. Today, however, I found it could be used for more than just that…
Within my company, we have annual PDRs (Performance & Development Reviews). Mine’s coming up soon & I’ve received my form to fill in before my PDR takes place, it’s not only an opportunity to reflect on my past performance but also, it gives me the chance to consider where I want to go & what I want to do in the next 12 months. With this in mind, I signed into myHR & took it upon myself to look at what’s available to me in the way of self-development help & courses. I was amazed at the amount of help & courses on offer to staff who want them, there’s even a Team Framework online tool, that allows you to answer 6 lots of questions about you, your job role & performance, it’s recommended that you do it once a year just before a PDR (how timely that I stumbled across it??). I’d love to try the coaching facilities, I feel it will be really helpful to me. There’s also a counselling service & you don’t have to go to them with just work issues.
There’s a link on the website just for staffs wellbeing & it’s all about making sure your physical, mental and social needs are met so you can achieve your full potential and be the best you can be, in Staff Development we’re offered the following courses which focus on our wellbeing.
- Springboard Women’s Development Programme – The Springboard programme is designed specifically for women who wish to take stock of their lives and take time out to consider their own goals and aspirations. It is a personal development programme and the outcome will vary depending on how much you wish to participate and personally get out of it.
- Fresh Steps – This programme is for members of staff who are open to reassessing their lives and setting new goals. It is a personal development programme and the outcome will vary depending on how much you wish to participate and personally get out of it.
- The Mindfulness 8 week course to Increase resilience and effectiveness – This course is for all members of staff who are open to experience meditation.
Research shows that people who adopt mindfulness techniques as part of their daily life:
Have increased ability to pay attention and concentrate
Have raised levels of emotional intelligence
Have increased resilience
Have improved relationships
Are more aware of their surroundings
- Time Management – This course is suitable for any member of staff who would like to improve their time management skills. It covers a number of areas including helping delegates develop strategies to help deal with identified obstacles to effective time management.
- Art of Brilliance 1&2 – These workshops are open to all staff, delegates must attend session 1 before booking onto session 2. Both sessions inspire delegates to change the way they think about work/life and relationships to create a positive climate around them.
- Understanding the Impact of Stress – This course is only suitable for individuals within a supervisory or management role. Attending this course will enable you to develop an understanding of the impact of stress in your own organisation and team members.
- Becoming more Resilient at Work – This course is for all staff looking to increase their resilience and develop mental toughness at work.
There are numerous links & online toolkits on the website that could be truly helpful & I’m going to start making full use of them now I’ve discovered them.
One of the questionnaires I did was about how & what I do at work over the course of the 5 days, in one of the questionnaires was a question that I found to be a strange one – ‘I made a valuable contribution’ & you have to answer it by saying how many days you did so? I found it a void question because, surely, everyone who goes to work makes a valuable contribution to their job every single day, after all, if they wasn’t there, something wouldn’t get done so they obviously make a valuable contribution???
I’ve never worked for a company that (to my knowledge) offered all of these services, the only company I’ve been around that does is the armed forces, this may sound a little dramatic but the armed forces do try to help all of their forces personnel in any way they can & I feel that the tools I’ve found today will either help me or point me in the direction of someone who can. In my experience, the armed forces are like one big family & over the last 12 months or so, I’ve been feeling the same way about the company I work for. I’m yet to see exactly how available these services are to me & how easy they would be to attend but I’m going to try to find out.
This year is about trying to ease my stress & anxiety levels & to do things that make me smile, so I’m going to try & take advantage of everything that’s available to me, at work & home.
I’m excited for the next 12 months.
Have a glorious day.
Bye for now.